Saturday, March 14, 2009

Childbirth Class

Today we had our “how to get a baby out of a mommy” class. We were one couple out of ten in the class. People ranged from 37 weeks to 30ish weeks. No one was pregnant with multiples. Eight and a half of the couples were having their first child.

Let’s see… topics covered: pain, stages of labor, relaxation methods, breathing methods, more pain, various positions to move the baby into a more favorable position, various positions to open up the pelvis, vaginal versus c-section births, unbearable pain, pain management options, practice sessions, textbook first delivery time frames, oh yes and there was some mention that even though our bodies know how to deliver babies naturally there might be some discomfort and pain associated with it. Go figure.

We did an exercise where the support person stood along a continuum regarding their feelings on the use of pain medications. I would say two-thirds of the support people stood with the favoring of pain meds and the rest stood on the non-favoring side. Al stood pretty much exactly where I felt. I am pretty much aiming for natural, but I want to be completely realistic that drugs may be needed, especially if I am in labor for a long time or if the pain gets too unbearable. Even though I want to avoid them at all costs, I will likely be easily swayed after many hours of labor.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"The Birth Book" by William and Martha Sears was my key to a successfully natural birth (along with a hospital staff that actually encourage natural birth, rather than drugs). The book can be a bit earthy crunchy in parts, but it has tons of great information.

I think I still have my copy, if you are interested I could mail it to you.

Kamikaze Pigeon said...

Naa... I between the positions taught in the class and my meditation, reiki, & yoga skills, I think I am good. Thanks though!