Friday, May 29, 2009

So very odd

It is the weirdest thing to hold your child's finger in the palm of your hand... especially when that finger is not attached to your child. That begs the question- what do you do with said finger?

We are now down to 11 fingers as of Wednesday night. The one on her right hand was the one that fell off. The second one is just barely holding on and will likely fall off in the next couple of days. Laine has been on antibiotics due to some redness and irritation at the tie off site. We had another follow-up appointment today. Since things are looking better and the second finger will be going soon, Laine will only have to continue on her meds until Tuesday. And that is a good thing for us because the meds give her diarrhea! (Sigh.)

We saw a different Pediatrician from the office today. This is the third one I have met. So far, I like all of them. The one we saw today wanted to know the one that tied off the fingers because they did such a great job. Looks like there will be no stubs. Yay! The Pediatrician thinks that Al may be the beginning of a new genetic "mutation" since there is no family history. She said that these are not unusual. Of course, it is still a dominant trait, our second baby will likely also have extra digits.

Here are some Daddy-Cam Videos:




Laine Factoids:
- Laine sneezes in multiples; just like her mommy.
- Laine must have tactile contact on her face. She always has her hands on her face. When we are chest-to-chest, she will flop her head around to get it under our chin. She will fuss until she gets this contact. I have noticed that nine times out of ten when I wake up I have my hands against my face. Another inherited mommy trait!

4 comments:

Jim said...

Oh well, I'm sure she'll still be a great pianist :)

Unknown said...

I'm disappointed you didn't leave the 6th finger on the left hand so she could be cast in the remake of The Princess Bride as the evil lackey.

Donna@My Sweet Things said...

A really good friend of mine had extra fingers at birth. It runs in her family. Special she is! We would love to come out to see you guys this weekend. Justin is over his illness so we are in the clear!
Oh, and I am new to the shutterfly thing so as I was clicking, it notified me that you would be notified that I want to be a manager of your account. Bah! Sorry about that. Hugs to you all!

Kamikaze Pigeon said...

I noticed that email... I figured that you were going click happy. :-)

This weekend is great for us, just give us a ring. Glad Justin is feeling better!