Thursday, February 18, 2010

Slap, Clap, & Escape

Laine was playing with a tupperware dish last week and I showed her how it could be made into a drum. I showed her how to hit it so that it would make noise. She mimicked my actions and got the noise too. The problem? That behavior has generalized. Now, everything is a drum. Her toys, her blocks, Daddy’s head... yes, Daddy’s head! Daddy gives Laine shoulder rides around the house. This last time she wiggled her legs like she was saying, “Giddy up!” and then took her right hand and whapped Daddy on top of the head three times.

I have been working with Laine to show her that she can clap and make noise. She always watched my hands in amazement when I clapped. Tuesday I got her to keep her fingers out of the way so that I could clap her hands for her. Then today when I picked her up from daycare she showed me how she could clap on her own.

Laine decided that she was going to escape the living room while I was pumping yesterday. Too bad for her that she crawls very slowly and she giggled the entire time she tried to make a break for it. She kinda made it easy for me to determine what she was up to.

4 comments:

Donna@My Sweet Things said...

We have a drum kit at our house. In fact we have two sets. Just putting that out there! Drums may be her thing. Super Star!
Your baby stories give me baby fever.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Donna - I think we have a budding drummer in our midst!

:-)

How cute.... but poor Al's head. I can hear him now: "Hey - what are you doing?"

lol

mom

Anonymous said...

ps - Did I mention how much fun I am going to be having teaching here even more fun ways to make noise??

Kamikaze Pigeon said...

Baby fever, huh? Is it contagious? Will Laine have play dates with other babies soon? :-)