Friday, April 10, 2009

Work's Reaction

So, while I posed the question on the blog, people at work have been weighing in on the answer. And no, they do not know about the blog.

I got on the elevator this morning and shared it with a co-worker named Linda. “Hey Momma!” she said. “She dropped some more. I can tell by the bands on your shirt.” By the end of the day, she looked at me wide-eyed and commented that my tummy was now even lower.

Within 30 minutes of being at work, I heard someone turn the corner and stand outside my cube. When I turned around it was my supervisor’s boss, Lee. (My supervisor is out on medical leave.) Usually when he comes to my cube like that he needs something. I looked at him waiting for him to tell me what he needed, but instead he said, “I was just checking to see if you were here.” “Yup, she is still inside me,” I responded. “Excellent!” he said as he walked away.

An hour later, I heard someone else come to my cube. When I turned around it was my co-worker Valerie. She and I work very closely to cover my supervisor’s workload while she is out. “Oh thank god you are here,” she said, “I don’t know what I am going to do when I turn the corner to find out that you are not here.” Later in the day, she looked at me and noted that I am noticeable bigger. I told her how my mother said it looked like she dropped and came out. “And then some!” Valerie added.

I was walking out of my cube aisle with my cube neighbor, Charlie. “So what is this I am hearing? You are about to have this baby?” he asked. Around the corner, over the filing cabinets, we heard a “Oh, she better not be.” It was Lee. He followed up by jokingly saying, “She told me that she promised that it wouldn’t be during the next week.” I laughed and let him know that I was doing my best to hold up to my end of the bargain. Funny thing is, I did promise him that yesterday. And last week I was promising everyone that I wouldn’t deliver until my supervisor came back. HA!

One random lady stopped me on my way out the front door to the building today. I believe she works on my floor with two individuals with developmental disabilities that work in our office. She asked when I was due. I told her next month. "Girl, you ain't gonna make it that far!" "I think you could be right," I said. "Girl, you are low. I give you a couple weeks."

While we all understand that I could very possibly still reach my due-date, no one in my office is taking that for granted. In fact, instead of being wished a good weekend by some, I was wished good luck… just in case I happen to go into labor this weekend. People are so silly people for thinking that it is going to be that immediate. However, my brain is slowly wrapping around the idea that a May baby may not happen after all.

No comments: